Microsoft uses PST (Personal Storage File) file to restore your Calendars, Sent Items, e-mail, Journal Entries, and other tasks on the local Windows workstations. Here users are responsible for archiving that requires specific archive periods, file locations, folder and sub-folder locations etc.
This PST File format is used with the Microsoft Exchange Client, Windows Messaging. And Microsoft Outlook 97 / 98/ 2000 / 2002. Hence Microsoft Outlook 2003 introduced new functionality with support for Unicode data, it means, older versions of Microsoft Outlook encounter trouble when you trying to access or open your PST files from newer editions.
As Outlook 2007 PST file, like Outlook 2003, but not compatible with Outlook versions 2002 and its earlier one. Like that Outlook 2003 and 2007 can open PST Files that is created by Outlook earlier versions. These PST Files themselves are notorious for corruption. The storage format has proven so delicate that lots of Repair Utilities as Inbox Repair Tool / Scanpst.exe or other professional PST Repair Software exist for attempting to correct your common corruption issues.
PST File format has another drawback as its size limitation. It was limited to 1.933GB. Outlook 2003 has increased the size limitation of PST file to 30 GB, but the larger file will slows down your system. More worse, when PST Files fail to recover, most of the harm you get about loss of your messages, reports, attachments and other vital information.
Hence, you should choose better alternative to PST File Corruption.
Exporting PST File:-
You can export your email and mail folders, calendars, and appointments, tasks, journals, notes and other additional content from Outlook as a .PST file it can be saved to another media just like your file. However, it can only be get opened with Outlook, other programs will not be able to open a .PST File
Note:- if the .PST File contains any sensitive or confidential data, it must be adequately protected as per data storage and encryption related requirements.
Archiving Outlook PST Files:-
With MailStore Server, PST file can be archived directly. Here you can easily create and execute archiving tasks independently from users and their computers. The individual PST file should be made available centrally, through a network share.
For each PST File, please proceed as follows:-
- In MailStore Server, click on the Archive Email.
- From E-mail files category in the Create Profile Section, select Microsoft Outlook PST Files.
- A Wizard will opens, that will guide you through the Set up process.
- Then select Single User and then click on OK.
- Here, a dialogue Window Archive Microsoft Outlook appears on your screen.
- Select Archive Email Stored in a PST File as source and specify the PST File to be archived.
- Click on Next.
- If needed, then adjust the settings for the List Of Folders to be Archived, filter and Deletion rules.
- Select the archive of the user for that selected PST file is to be archived.
- Finally, just specify the name for new archiving profile.
- After Clicking on Finish, profile will be listed under Saved Profiles and can run immediately, if desired.
However, you can also use PST Repair Software that will repair your corrupted PST Files smoothly , when you are unable to archive or export your PST File. The Inbox Repair Tool can help in repairing the corrupted PST file, but it contains some limitations. So, in this situation, you need to use PST Repair Software that possess strong ability to repair your PST file that get damaged due to another issues. This software is more friendly and have more interactive interface. It can installed into your PC easily. It get compatible with all versions of Outlook as well as Windows OS.